Naihanchi Shodan moves 19-20 application one
This is just the mirror sequence of the beginning of the kata, going in the other direction and to the opposite side of the opponent. The application is the same; simple elbow strike to the head.
- The opponent begins in front of you holding your left forearm or wrist with his right hand.
- The head and embusen turn to the left indicates turning your body clockwise until you are facing in a similar direction to the opponent on his right hand side.
- Note that unlike the beginning of the kata there is no step at this point, it's done stationary.
- Simultaneously, using your right hand, pull his right hand from your left and pull it to your hip.
- Also simultaneously, bring your left, now released arm up over the opponent's right and place your hand behind his head.
- Note that many/most styles add a strike to the neck area at this point because your arm is travelling in that direction unopposed anyway. With the positioning of the opponent, the strike is with the forearm, not the hand.
- Strike with the right elbow to the opponent's head with mawashi-empi-uchi, pulling his head into contact using your left hand.
- The result should be unconsciousness or similar.